Monday, July 9, 2012

The Importance of Spelunking


"For if, in time, we come to the end of one journey and find that our lives once more intersect, then take me with you on your next adventure. I'll be a good-hearted companion, an optimistic soul, and a joyous friend. Happy to have the chance to travel with you once again."
There's nothing more fulfilling than a well-needed excursion, an exciting escapade, or a spontaneous adventure. And there's nothing more vital to these than good company. While the occasional lone journey for the purpose of reflection and self-exploration is always good for the soul, there's something special about experiencing travel with companionship. I'm not talking about some long, drawn out journey through mountainous terrain or a cross-country drive from Maine to Southern California (although, now that I think about it, bucket list?). Sometimes, all one needs is a late night trip to Sonic for slushies and greasy appetizers. Or a midnight venture to a playground swing set. Or a decision at 7:30 on a Saturday night to have a barbecue at 8 by the lake. Possibly even a long walk to a field full of stars. But any of these "adventures" are meaningless and pointless without wonderfully fantastic people to take with you.


Fellowship is an integral part of our basic human needs. Companionship with people we respect and admire is something that sets us apart from every other organism. I love good times. I love having good times with good people. And I love having those good times with those good people for the sake of saying "Yeah, that's right. We did that." When was the last time you woke up and said, "Today, I'm making a freaking fantastic memory. Today, I'm gonna climb a tree, scale a wall, jump in a puddle, and see how many marshmallows I can fit in my mouth. I'm gonna build a bonfire. Cruise around town in a beat-up car. Make a cake and get covered in flour. And I'm gonna do all of it by myself!" Yes! Wait, what?


I crave the chance to do all of this. But by myself? I want to be surrounded by good company! No one wants to do memorable things by themselves. I have an inherent need to share adventures and experiences with others. I want to do epic things with epic people. Or completely mundane things. Even a seemingly boring trip to the grocery store can become insanely spectacular when you're with the right people (and when you have way too many grocery carts...). Adventure is everywhere. All you need to see it is the right pair of aviators.


Sometimes, however, I get a little too preoccupied with making future memories that I forget to enjoy the ones I'm living. I want to be able to soak in the present and exist in just one moment at a time. But I also want to get through and do as much as possible in the shortest amount of time. I don't want a single day to go by wasted. The challenge I face is taking it as it comes. There's quite a bit to the art of spelunking. It's not as simple as some people would believe. Everything in moderation. And location, location, location.


So go do something exciting. Fill up your gas tank and just drive. See how far you get before you run out. Take a turn onto a road because you like its name. Pick up a few people on your way. Allow your life to intersect with those around you. Be someone who people don't want to do something without. The kind of person of whom others will say "It's not an adventure without them!"


Just don't forget your aviators.

No comments:

Post a Comment